Dear Marathon Foto,
I see you have upped your security to try and prevent people from displaying your images without purchasing.
However, I have a novel idea for you! How about lowering prices?
Why not follow a business model closer to McDonalds than Ferrari?
$20 for a picture or $40 for the digital rights to a photo is a bit ridiculous don’t you think?
Take my wedding photographer, she did an amazing job (Hi Susan!) and if I she were to charge us by the photo we probably paid closer to $2.50 an image. I realize that is not how wedding/event photography works (btw quick plug if you are getting married, have an event, protraits, or need a photographer in general she is awesome, and has a Tumblr!)
So Marathon Foto, why not charge $5 for a photo, you know since you can get them for less than a dollar through most on-line ordering sites, i.e. shutterfly. or $10 for the digital rights? I bet you by quartering the costs you would probably end up making more money overall.
Think about it. Are you more likely to buy a Hyundai or a Ferrari as your next car?
While many people would say they would love a Ferrari. However last year only 7,195 people made that a reality. Now on the other side of the coin Hyundai sold 12.8 MILLION cars in 2011.
Now I realize there is a large difference in the type of car as well as the manufacturing process for the two cars. However, Marathon Foto are you saying you compare to a Ferrari in regards to your quality?
So, why not sell the pictures at a reasonable price?
And while I know I represent a very small sample of the US population, I don’t personally know a single person that has ever purchased a Marathon Foto or Brightroom photo.
Here is what I challenge you to do, at your next BIG event advertise the crap out of it. Let everyone know that for this event only you will be selling images at a deeply discounted price of $5 an image or $10 for the digital copy. Do the case study and find out if I am right or wrong. Because honestly you have much more to gain than you could possibly lose.
Have any of the people that follow this blog ever bought a photo from one of them or similarly priced vendor?
- mudda3107 likes this
- rookcanrun said: I bought all the photos available from the Boston Marathon. I got 21 pics, plus some “event” photos they took. I agree the prices are outrageous but I bought them anyways. I think most people aren’t going to buy them for $5 or $20.
- mylifechoices said: Neither my sister nor I have ever bought them. Too much :(
- mar-kicksass said: I have bought several event photos… If you think Marathonfoto is expensive, try Ragnar!
- trish-runs-the-world-away likes this
- twotwentyeight likes this
- michaeldoeslife likes this
- seeamandarun said: yeah their prices are ridic!
- iron-inside likes this
- healthydynamic likes this
- liftingbeerandliz likes this
- notovernight likes this
- runheatherrun reblogged this from notovernight and added:
- cupcakeconditioning said: My thoughts exactly. It’s highway robbery!
- runheatherrun likes this
- erocksrunning said: Nice rant. I totally agree!!
- erocksrunning likes this
- watchmelightenup likes this
- healthfreaktonursegeek said: Agree!!!
- healthfreaktonursegeek likes this
- thereluctantrunner said: I actually have bought photos from marathon photo..the price is what it is. They are in business to make money & must be doing alright for themselves as they continue to stay in business. If its an important race I’ll buy photos, otherwise, I don’t.
- becomingbailee said: I would never pay such ridiculous amounts for a picture. I don’t understand why anyone would.
- thisfearlesslife said: AGREED.
- lifechangeneededaisle3 said: I’ve bought from another company here is the great white North. They do all(most of) the major events. I think I paid $14 for 2 5 x 7’s high gloss with a border. Brighten did our Army run last year and it was a joke how the pics came out.. Horrible
- lifechangeneededaisle3 likes this
- pharmkitten likes this
- pharmkitten said: Never bought one because they are so expensive and a lot of times not even that good.
- notovernight posted this